United States, Britain, France launch strikes on Syria for chemical weapon attack

Damascus: In response to chemical weapon attacks by Syria the United States, Britain and France collectively launched the wave of strikes against the West-Asian country on Saturday. With this trilateral action by world leaders the brutal seven years old civil war took a new turn as explosions were heard in the Syrian capital Damascus.

According to AFP, consecutive blasts were heard at 4:00 am (local time), followed by the sound of aeroplanes.
US President Donald Trump, who once branded the chemical weapon attacks as ‘crimes of a monster’ said he had ordered forces to launch precision strikes “on targets associated with the chemical weapons capabilities of Syrian dictator Bashar al-Assad.”

“A combined operation had been launched with the forces of Britain and France, whose leaders have rallied behind Trump’s call for a response to an alleged chemical attack on the town of Douma a week ago that rescuers and monitors say killed more than 40 people,” he said, adding, “This massacre was a significant escalation in a pattern of chemical weapons use by that very terrible regime,” Trump said.

Syria’s foreign ministry denounced the strikes as a “brutal, barbaric aggression” and suggested they were aimed at “hindering” the work of inspectors from the Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons due to start in Damascus later today.

The strikes were a marked escalation compared with a US strike following a chemical attack a year ago when only cruise missiles were used against a single airfield.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *